MTU to CDN's

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 18 23:50:42 UTC 2018

Because the CDN delivers to your customers not you.  It’s your customers link
requirements that are the ones you need to worry about.  If you support
jumbo frames to all of your customers and their gear also supports jumbo
frame then sure go ahead and use jumbo frames otherwise use the lowest
common denominator MTU when transmitting.  This is less than 1500 on
today Internet and encapsulated traffic is reasonable common.

	embedded CND <--> NAT64 <--> CLAT <--> client
		     1500       14XX     1500
	embedded CDN <--> B4 <— > 6RD <— > client
	             1500.   14XX     1500

Now you can increase the first 1500 easily.  The rest of the path not so
easily.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org