Announcing Peering-LAN prefixes to customers

Dominic Schallert ds at schallert.com
Wed Dec 19 14:33:13 UTC 2018

Hi all,

this might be a stupid question but today I was discussing with a colleague if Peering-LAN prefixes should be re-distributed/announced to direct customers/peers. My standpoint is that in any case, Peering-LAN prefixes should be filtered and not announced to peers/customers because a Peering-LAN represents some sort of DMZ and there is simply no need for them to be reachable by third-parties not being physically connected to an IXP themselves. Also from a security point of view, a lot of new issues might occur in this situation.

I’ve been seeing a few transit providers lately announcing (even reachable) Peering-LAN prefixes (for example DE-CIX Peering LAN) to their customers. I’m wondering if there is any document or RFC particularly describing this matter?

Thanks
Dominic