How to choose a transit provider?

David Guo david at xtom.com
Fri Dec 14 16:07:08 UTC 2018

Hi Mehmet,

We usually ask the sales director from a neutral datacenter to introduce a sales rep from Tier 1 - 2 ISPs to bargain.

First of all, sign NDA if possible, then ask the following questions:

1. Price for 100 Mbps on 1 Gbps port to 1 Gbps unmetered or 1 Gbps on 10 Gbps or 10 Gbps unmetered
2. Contact term, from 12 months to 36 months, or even 60 months.
3. BGP community or RTBH for blackhole
4. AS-SET or LOA for BGP filter updating
5. SLA and network delay (latency) guarantee
6. Price for NRC and MRC and VAT or tax in some countries

For their peering networks and IX, you can do research on different network using looking glass, mtr, traceroute, etc. And ask your friend if they are already using the service.

Cheapest transit service will not always have good performance, but the most expensive one may not be the best choice. You should choose the suitable provider for your audience.

Regards,

David