Enterprise GPON / Zhone Questions

K. Scott Helms kscott.helms at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:16:16 UTC 2018

I'd say that any carrier grade GPON gear is way overkill for a LAN and
you're going to have to run single mode fiber to use the consumer grade
ONTs which is a big extra expense as few structured wiring companies do
single mode.  Second, Dasan Zhone is one of the vendors I'd absolutely
avoid and I've worked on numerous GPON OLTs (Adtran TA5000/3000, Calix C7,
E7, E3, and others).  Their configuration is problematic as you've found
out and they have a poor track record in security.

https://www.securityweek.com/over-million-dasan-routers-vulnerable-remote-hacking

Using third party optics is (with all the GPON vendors) a complete crap
shoot.  Sometimes they will work and suddenly a firmware update from the
OLT vendor comes along and they no longer work.  Other times they don't
work at all or are very unreliable.

GPON is a standard, but in North America the vendors have largely not been
forced to do interoperability and it's very lacking.  Compare that to
Europe where the Fritzbox is one of the most popular ONTs.

Finally, as many have said I cannot see any scenario where building GPON
will be as cost effective, reliable, or performant as simply building out a
switched Ethernet network over fiber.