Is WHOIS going to go away?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sat Apr 21 20:49:00 UTC 2018

On April 20, 2018 at 18:41 rubensk at gmail.com (Rubens Kuhl) wrote:
 > Free speech is not the same as anonymity in all jurisdictions. In mine,
 > anonymity is forbidden by the constitution... in some, anonymity is
 > considered part of free speech. Matching local laws to a global policy is a
 > challenge.

That's a good point, but not creating policy which honors the lowest
common denominator is also a big part of that challenge.

I recall during the nTLD comments periods some strongly worded
objections from members of the GAC* to several new TLD applications
based only on reasoning such as homosexuality was illegal in their
country so any nTLD which implied service to homosexuals (e.g., .GAY)
was unacceptable.

Homosexuality is explicitly illegal in over 70 countries or so The
Goog tells me.

Compare and contrast to GDPR which is the legal framework of a mere 27
countries (perhaps 28.)

* GAC: ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee.

--
        -Barry Shein