Hurricane Maria: Summary of communication status - and lack of

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Sep 30 19:53:52 UTC 2017

The Government of Puerto Rico has created a map of working cell sites in
puerto Rico. I'm not certain about the source of the information.
Cellular carriers usually object/refuse to release details about their
operations.

http://status.pr/Maps

The map shows most working cell sites are in metro areas around San Juan.
As I guessed, one or two cell sites in each county/municipality around the
island.  There are almost no working cell sites covering the interior of
the island.

Comparing the map to census bureau population maps indicates the working
cell sites are in high population areas, which is necessary for disaster
triage. Satellite phones are being distributed to mayors in the other
counties/municipalities.