IPv6 migration steps for mid-scale isp

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Sep 14 17:05:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Fredrik Sallinen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently we have decided to start IPv6 migration in our network. We
> have ~1K BNGs and connecting our customers to network using PPPoE.
> I'd be interested in hearing from the technical community about their
> experiences and recommendations on this process. I'm wondering:
>
> Shall I go for IPv6-only deployment or dual stack?

For PPPoE with existing IPv4, go dual stack.

> Where to start with IPv6? (core, edge or ...)

Core, peering, work outwards towards end users.

> What are the best practices for ISPs?
> What are the costs and return on investment?
> How to identify address CPE and legacy application issues?

There is a lot written and presented about IPv6 deployment. People have
been doing this in volume since around 2010, and if you search for IPv6
deployment experience you'll find lots of presentations.

Some I found that seem relevant:

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog51/presentations/Monday/aronson-pierantozzi-level3-ipv6.pdf
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/54/slides/plenary-15.pdf
https://www.apnic.net/community/ipv6-program/ipv6-stories/
https://www.ipv6council.be/experiences-de-deploiements-ipv6/

If you prefer video form, there are lots of presentations from
conferences, available on youtube as well.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se