EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed Mar 29 00:17:40 UTC 2017

Seth,

Hmmm... I hadn't heard about the $10 Internet access with no contracts and free installation. I'm pretty sure that's a complete fantasy, and that every ISP on the planet makes sure they get a tidy profit from the contract fees that lock in customers, with zero advertising income. Money from stealing user browser data is just gravy. Not that I'm opposed to gravy, but not when I, as a customer, don't get any.

Now, if ISPs want to PURCHASE browser data from customers directly, I'm sure they'll get some takers. But that strategy has never appeared in any business plan I've seen.

 -mel beckman