EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Mar 28 23:25:41 UTC 2017

On 3/28/17 16:08, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:51:43 -0700, Seth Mattinen said:
>
>> Has there ever been a real survey that asks people where they think
>> Google gets the money to support things like Gmail for "free"?
> There's a difference.  Google only gets to aggregate data you pass to Google.
> Your ISP gets to aggregate data you pass to *anybody*.  The difference matters.

I know, I'm not picking on Google like the other post was, other than to
bring up that point that a lot of non-technical people don't connect
that free Gmail means something has to pay for it. When I talk to people
they have this expectation of free internet because ISPs charging for
internet access is greedy when most most everything online is free. The
internet is just a nebulous thing out there that's "free".

So ultimately you have ISPs that sell data to marketers so they can meet
the demands from sales/marketing to offer $10 gigabit internet access
with no contracts and free install.

~Seth