Purchased IPv4 Woes

Pete Baldwin pete at tccmail.ca
Sun Mar 12 23:51:17 UTC 2017

     So this is is really the question I had, and this is why I was
wanting to start a dialog here, hoping that it wasn't out of line for
the list.  I don't know of a way to let a bunch of operators know that
they should remove something without using something like this mailing
list.     Blacklists are supposed to fill this role so that one operator
doesn't have to try and contact thousands of other operators
individually, he/she just has to appeal to the blacklist and once
delisted all should be well in short order.

     In cases where companies have their own internal lists, or only
update them a couple of times a year from the major lists,  I don't know
of another way to notify everyone.

     I get why people are more cautious and  filter entire blocks when
just a few hosts are attacking/spamming them, and everyone has a choice
on how they want to handle these situations.  As an ISP, I want to do as
little filtering as possible.  I want all of my customers to have access
to everything possible.  If a netblock changes hands, I want to give the
new owner the benefit of the doubt and only filter traffic if it repeats
the same old behaviour.  We're all using this finite space and I don't
want to let the hostile minority slowly ruin what's left of the ipv4
assignments.

-----

Pete Baldwin
Tuckersmith Communications