Purchased IPv4 Woes

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 23:24:47 UTC 2017

Den 12/03/2017 kl. 19.40 skrev Rob McEwen:
> On 3/12/2017 2:00 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
>> Sorry but this is not true. The address space does not lose that much in
>> value and in fact most address space that has been used for end users is
>> already tainted in the same way (due to botnets etc).
>
> Also, you're comparing apples-to-oranges. Dynamically allocated IPs
> for "end users" are not suppose to host mail and web servers - at
> least not professional and high-quality hosting services. This is why
> their outbound speed is almost always governed down to a trickle
> (often order of magnitudes slower then the download speeds), and port
> 25 is often blocked (when not headed to the mail server hosted by the
> particular ISP which controls that space).

We are talking about address space that got sold. It might have been
used for dynamically allocated IPs in some previous live. Now some poor
hosting provider took over and is trying to use it for his new enterprise.

By the way we sell 1000 Mbps downstream, 1000 Mbps upstream and no ports
are blocked. And we are not the only FTTH provider here doing that. We
will not decide what our users are supposed to host in a closet in their
homes.

Regards,

Baldur