Purchased IPv4 Woes

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Mar 12 17:42:37 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Chuck Church <chuckchurch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe a silly idea, but shouldn't the sale of a block of addresses
> (RIR ownership change) trigger a removal of that block from all reputation
> list databases?

Hi Chuck,

You're talking about 50+ database operators half of which don't
identify their principals and offer no way contact staff or interact
with them except, sometimes, through narrowly defined reporting tools.

Google is a prime example of the problem. They write great algorithms
but their confidence in those algorithms far exceeds their greatness.
The current catastrophic mess with Recaptcha should offer a cautionary
tale for all.

>  If I buy a car from a police auction, I'm fairly sure the FBI doesn't start
>  tailing me, because the car was once used for less than legal purposes.

You would think so, but I have a friend who is visited by police every
few months because the prior owner of his house is a petty criminal
still committing crimes and their database shows the house as his last
known residence.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us