Vendors spamming NANOG attendees

Brett Frankenberger rbf+nanog at panix.com
Wed Jun 14 17:54:02 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 02:02:47PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> In article <63CD2031-701D-4567-B88A-2986E8B3F359 at beckman.org> you write:
> >But as I said, harvesting emails is not illegal under can spam.
>
> This might be a good time to review 15 USC 7704(b)(1), which is titled
> "Address harvesting and dictionary attacks".

When reviewing it, make sure to read the whole thing.  Including the
part where it doesn't prohibit those things (harvesting and dictionary
attacks), but, instead, declares that those things are aggravating
factors if done my someone as part of doing things that are prohibited
by the section that actually prohibits things, which is 7704(a).

     -- Brett