IPv4 Hijacking For Idiots

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Jun 5 11:05:21 UTC 2017

One way is for the hijacker to simply peer with himself. The hijacker has an existing peering arrangement with, say, AT&T. He then tells AT&T that he will be transit for ASxxxx advertising XYZ routes, by dint of a cheerfully forged LOA. Once filters have been updated, the hijacker advertises the space to himself, and then from thence to AT&T.

It's no great trick getting peering set up. Just fill out a ten-question BGP app and pay a one-time fee of maybe $100, and you're done.

 -mel beckman