Leasing /22 blocks

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Thu Jun 1 15:04:09 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 04:44:52PM +0000, Security Admin (NetSec) wrote:
> Recently had someone offer to lease some IPv4 address space from me.
> Have never done that before.
>
> I thought I would ask the group what a reasonable monthly rate for a
> /22 in the United States might be.

Let me just set up my crystal ball.  Perhaps I can divine the future of
your address space.  Hmmm.  It's a little cloudy.  A lot of retransmits.
What if I adjust this here -- nope, that's upping the packet loss.
Maybe ...?  Ahh, yes.  It's starting to take shape.  I see ...

I see your IP space being used for abuse.  It's appearing on every
blacklist imaginable.  Whole segments of the Network null route it.
Hmmm.  It's being returned to you by the spamm--clients.  About a week
later.  You're sitting there with a couple hundred dollars.  And a
letter from ARIN.  You look .. sad.  Yes, definitely sad.

I'd recommend not doing that.

--