Waste will kill ipv6 too

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri Dec 29 03:49:27 UTC 2017

> On Dec 28, 2017, at 7:26 PM, Brock Tice <brock at bmwl.co> wrote:
>
> Most of our customers only have 2-5 devices. I know this is not the case
> in most of America but we are quite rural and for many people they've
> never had better than 1.5Mbps DSL until we install service at their
> location. Most of them have no idea what a subnet is. Let us say that
> over the next ten years they get quite savvy and decide to isolate their
> wireless clients, some public servers, their IoT devices, and their
> security cameras. We have given them a /52 which contains 4096 /64s. So,
> most likely, they will use one of those for their LAN and be done. In
> case they decide to make several VLANs or whatever they have used 4 /64s
> and they have 4092 left.

And that's where you're missing the IPv6 addressing concept.  You are thinking of "devices."  That's not how the v6 address space was planned out.  Future address (subnet, really) consumption will be decided by the devices behind the CPE, not the number of devices behind the CPE.  That's why there is such a huge address space allocation to each end point.  What people do in the privacy of their own routing domain is their own business.  As I mentioned in an earlier post to the list, think of IPv6 as a /64 address space; ignore the noise to the right.

ARIN allots you a /48 for each of your customer end points.  That means, as an ISP, you get a /32 right away.  That covers 64K customer end points out of the gate.  If you need a larger allocation, you can get that immediately.  So there is no need to carve up end point /48s.  And you don't want to.  It just makes more work configuring your routers.  Your monitoring software will assume /48 per CPE, so you'll have to explicitly configure that, etc.  All you are doing is making work for yourself.  And messing things up for your customers.

--lyndon