Waste will kill ipv6 too

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 29 03:51:25 UTC 2017

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:26:46 -0700, Brock Tice said:

> I will again say I am indeed no expert, I am happy to get feedback. Is
> there some kind of allocation scheme where a residential user or even a
> small or medium business will have any chance of using 4096 /64s?

They won't burn 4096 consecutive addresses.  They'll do what you said - your
gear supplies their head-end router a /52.  That then starts handing out a
half-dozen or so /64s for hardware interfaces, and hands a DHCP-PD /56 to the
expansion router at the other end of the house, which then hands out a
half-dozen /64s for subnets at that end, and *it* then hands a /60 PD to the
garage and barn routers, so they can each set up a half-dozen /64s.

So yeah, they need a /52, even though we've only burned through 2 or 3 dozen
/64s.  But this is the way it's *supposed* to work - note that careful choice of
subnet numbers for the PD and local subnets means that even if other stuff
shows up and starts asking for a PD, there will be plenty left for them to use.