Waste will kill ipv6 too

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Dec 29 03:06:14 UTC 2017

> On 29 Dec 2017, at 1:54 pm, Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 21:05:33 -0500, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> If you want to make that argument, that we shouldn’t have SLAAC and we should use /96 prefixes, that wouldn’t double the space, it would multiply it by roughly 4 billion.
>
> I'm saying I should be able to use whatever size LAN I want.

Go ahead and do it.  No one is stopping you.  Just don’t force it on other including your customers.

>> The routing problem might be real if everyone goes to PI, but I think that’s an unlikely scenario.
>
> Every scenario everyone has come up with is "unlikely". Home networks with multiple LANs??? Never going to happen; people don't know how to set them up, and there's little technical need for it.

It already happens and it isn’t just geeks that have such home networks.  People do daisy chain routers today and have been for years.  HOMENET routers will auto configure if you just plug them together.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org