Waste will kill ipv6 too

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Thu Dec 28 19:28:14 UTC 2017

>It is about time to look at the business aspect of wasting human
>resources fiddling with micro-optimization. We seem to have have two
>choices:

>A. Keep arguing and complicating management of the IPv6 Internet and
>wasting human resources ==> more cost.

>From a business management (and consultant) perspective this is the correct choice, of course.  It means that the workforce size will increase and that the Executives in charge will have more underthings doing more (albeit useless) busy-work.  Since most of it will be being done by non-skilled employee's the cost will be rather low -- and everytime you get some employee who can fathom what is going on, just get rid of them.

>From a management (and consultant) perspective this is absolutely marvellous -- the bigger the empire the more the pay and the higher the bonuses and pension.  And they will be happily retired before the shit hits the fan.

>B. Deploy IPv6 to end users using the RA/DHCP-PD and the like with
>the simplest possible templates, e.g., /64+/48 to every edge
>host/router, no questions asked, thus requiring fewer human
>resources ==> less cost.

This requires fewer underthings to keep things running -- though those underthings will have to have a higher wattage each.  This means smaller empires and lower pay and bonuses for the Executives and the Consultants.  This is not good for the bonus, the salary, or the retirement pension.  There is no monetary benefit in leaving behind "something that just works".

---