Waste will kill ipv6 too

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Dec 28 18:45:54 UTC 2017

[Deliberate top post]

All this fear about “waste” killing IPv6 is unwarranted.

It is about time to look at the business aspect of wasting human resources fiddling with micro-optimization. We seem to have have two choices:

A. Keep arguing and complicating management of the IPv6 Internet and wasting human resources ==> more cost.

B. Deploy IPv6 to end users using the RA/DHCP-PD and the like with the simplest possible templates, e.g., /64+/48 to every edge host/router, no questions asked, thus requiring fewer human resources ==> less cost.

Some major networks have long since adopted choice B.

The pace of technology change makes likely that "Waste will kill ipv6 too” will be a moot issue by any of the time estimates discussed previously. Any prudent business will choose “B”. Any other choice from this list would be a waste of time and money.

See also “Human Use of Human Beings” by Norbert Weiner.

	Cutler