Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Dec 20 04:52:15 UTC 2017

> On 20 Dec 2017, at 2:39 am, Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/18/17, 2:36 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Harald Koch" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of chk at pobox.com> wrote:
>> They could use IPv6. I mean, if the mobile phone companies can figure it out, surely an ISP can...
>
> Except for cases when it is impossible or impractical to update software on a great number of legacy devices…
>
> JL

You mean devices where the manufacture ignore IPv6 and shipped you a dud.  Even devices with a 15 year life cycle should be IPv6 capable today.  Microsoft shipped IPv6 capable versions of Windows in 2001.  If they could see the writing on the wall back then *every* other device manufacture should have also been able to see this.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org