40G and 100G optics options

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Dec 18 17:40:30 UTC 2017

On 12/18/17 09:01, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> Hi
>
> What options are available for 40G QSFP+ and 100G QSFP28 for 10+ km
> links?
>
> I see a lot of switches offered with QSFP+ and QSFP28. But I do not
> seem to find the necessary optics to build the links I want.
>
> For example, take a look at the options available at Fiberstore:
>
> https://www.fs.com/c/generic-40g-qsfp-891
>
> Generic Compatible 40GBASE-LR4 and OTU3 QSFP+ 1310nm 10km LC
> Transceiver for SMF
> $340
>
> Generic Compatible 40GBASE-ER4 and OTU3 QSFP+ 1310nm 40km LC
> Transceiver for SMF
> $1500
>
> https://www.fs.com/c/generic-qsfp28-100g-transceivers-2858
>
> Generic Compatible QSFP28 100GBASE-LR4 1310nm 10km Transceiver
> $1999
>
> Generic Compatible QSFP28 100GBASE-ER4 1310nm 40km Transceiver
> $7000
>
> That is it. Four modules and the 40km are prohibitive expensive. The
> situation at other vendors appears to be similar.
>
> I need stronger modules that can do more than 10 km without being
> extremely expensive. Or DWDM modules in the 1550 nm band so I can use
> external amplifiers. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this expected
> to be available in the near future?
qsfp28 is heavily constrained by power budget. The inability to put a
serdes in the package does also very much constrain the form factor
since it's 4x25 wavelengths.

cfp2-aco is the approach that stops paying for the DSP with every optic
(DCO does that) gets you long haul single wave, DWDM and tunables, but
it's  a bit of an incovenient form-factor for fixed configuration 1ru
switches.