Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Edwin Pers EPers at ansencorp.com
Wed Dec 6 21:58:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 16:26:00 -0500, Rich Kulawiec said:
>Better yet, why not study the large-scale patterns over time
>and proactively address it?

If only there was some sort of distributed analytics/search/etc platform they could use to do that....
https://www.elastic.co/
https://aws.amazon.com/elasticsearch-service/
It's not hard. Only took me by myself a few days of farting around to learn it and start getting good hard information out of a single local ES instance that was being fed nothing but firewall logs. I'm sure they would have no trouble with it

Sent: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:40 PM
> Is anybody selling monitoring gear that can do deep packet inspection
> at line rate on a 100G pipe?

Found this within a few minutes of looking:
https://accoladetechnology.com/portfolio-item/anic-200Ku/
Not sure if it would meet the needs but I'm sure that there's something out there that can do it. The actual inspection of captured packets doesn't have to be line rate (unless you want to ban people on the fly). Either way, with their resources, anything is possible.
I'm sure Cisco would sell you a complete "solution" as well, along with the hefty service contract that comes with buying into Big Green

On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 16:43:00 -0500, Brian Kantor said:
>For the largest players, I can see no economic advantage in being a good
>network neighbor, and plenty of cost (salaries, equipment) to do so.

Exactly. But at the same time we don't see this with google, digital ocean, etc other big players in the market.
I don't see any feasible way to get them to change their behavior either.

For all we know they're already doing this. But if they are they aren't doing much with the data they get out of it
-ed