Novice sysadmins (was: Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 5 19:31:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:

>  the Internet as we know it was developed under the stern eyes of the
> Department of Defense and the National Science Foundation. The NSF in
> particular ran the 'Net like bouncers do in a strip club: you break the
> rules, you go.  No argument.
>
> The original trust model for the Internet was based on this unrelenting
> oversight.  You didn't expect Bad Things(tm) because the consequences of
> doing them was so severe:  banishment and exile.

Hi Stephen,

Granted I was a late arrival in 1991, but I don't recall much in the way of
oversight... or banishment.

I do recall that the '88 Morris worm resulted in 400 hours of community
service and a tenured professorship at MIT. I suppose the latter could be
considered a severe consequence.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us