Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Filip Hruska fhr at fhrnet.eu
Mon Dec 4 17:59:30 UTC 2017

AWS is probably the biggest cloud provider in the world. Of course the
majority of junk is going to be coming from their network,
simply because they are that big.

Hovever, I really wanted to see what the bot statistics for my mail
server were so I scanned my `Postfix` and `secure` log files for "access
denied" entries.
In the past 10 hours, there were:

* 573 Postfix SASL Auth Failed entries from 106 different IPs
* 1479 SSH Auth Failed attempts from 13 different IPs

I see lots of OVH, Azure, home/business connection providers (TELSTRA
Australia, lot of Asian stuff, Telefonica, Vodafone, Verizon...),
some random cloud/dedicated server provider here and there... but not a
single Amazon IP - which surprised me quite a bit actually.

For reference, this server is with OVH in France and does not have
fail2ban installed. Postfix has connection rate limiting enabled though.

On another note, I wouldn't recommend blatantly blacklisting anyone,
especially not large service/platform/infrastructure providers. Many
businesses (such as e-shops) rely completely
on AWS (or other cloud) infrastructure. If you don't receive emails
containing order details or invoices because you completely blacklisted
them... well, that's your problem.

If your server is setup correctly, those bots are completely harmless
and spamassassin will destroy 99.9% of spam emails, which I call success.
The other 0.1% that goes through (that one email a week) I can delete
manually.

Regards

--
Filip Hruska