ISP License in the USA?

Lorell Hathcock lorell at
Tue May 31 18:14:17 UTC 2016



Our owner has hired a consultant who insists that we should have an ISP
license to operate in the United States.  (Like they have in other countries
like Germany and in Africa where he has extensive personal experience.)


I am asking him to tell me which license we should have because I don't know
of a license that we are required to have to route IP traffic to end


I am familiar with CLEC status filed with our state.  But it is not a
requirement to pass traffic.


He is suggesting COALS with which I am completely unfamiliar.


Can anyone tell me if there is a Texas state and/or USA Federal license for
a small operator to pass IP traffic from the internet to end users
(commercial and/or residential).


I am aware that there are some CALEA requirements of ISPs that seem to kick
in once a CALEA request is made, but is that different from a license.




Lorell Hathcock






More information about the NANOG mailing list