ISP License in the USA?

Dan White dwhite at
Tue May 31 18:24:35 UTC 2016

Not familiar with the process, but look at E-rate if you want to provide
service to schools, libraries and health providers.

On 05/31/16 13:14 -0500, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
>Our owner has hired a consultant who insists that we should have an ISP
>license to operate in the United States.  (Like they have in other countries
>like Germany and in Africa where he has extensive personal experience.)
>I am asking him to tell me which license we should have because I don't know
>of a license that we are required to have to route IP traffic to end
>I am familiar with CLEC status filed with our state.  But it is not a
>requirement to pass traffic.
>He is suggesting COALS with which I am completely unfamiliar.
>Can anyone tell me if there is a Texas state and/or USA Federal license for
>a small operator to pass IP traffic from the internet to end users
>(commercial and/or residential).
>I am aware that there are some CALEA requirements of ISPs that seem to kick
>in once a CALEA request is made, but is that different from a license.

Dan White
BTC Broadband

More information about the NANOG mailing list