E911 (was CALEA Requirements)

Dan Lacey daniel.p.lacey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:31:57 UTC 2016


Could you pick a more problematic venture in telecom? ;-)
I have done a couple of these.
(I just joined the list and have no idea how much you know on the subject)

My clients are wholesale customers of different local LECs (Local 
Exchange Carrier).
These are the guys that own the wire centers in your location (e.g. 
CenturyLink, Verizon, etc.)
I do not know how they work with non-wholesale customers with regards to 
E911 services.

The specifics of what will be required differ from LEC to LEC and also 
depend on the PSAP (E911 center) you will connect to.
Most people use a consultant to get this done since there will be many 
technical details related to the circuits and technical meetings with 
the LEC and PSAP.
The LECs and PSAPs are not in the business of building your network... 
so they typically don't offer much assistance.
(If you have ever submitted an ASR to a LEC, you will know what I mean).

Your first step is to get in touch with your LEC and find out what 
services they can provide.
You could also contact your PSAP and find out their interconnection 
Then you will have some scope on the project.

If you go the wholesale route you really will need someone to guide you 
through the process.
On the other hand, if you are already a wholesale customer of a LEC, 
experienced with placing ASRs for DS0s, DS1s and multiplexors, then you 
probably can get this done in-house.


More information about the NANOG mailing list