Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Mar 9 22:01:34 UTC 2016

Saku Ytti wrote:
> I would go for 1500B edge, and 9100B core, but that's just me.

Other people would be fine with 1522 core because that suits both their
needs and equipment limitations.  So what do you do?  Go with 9100
because it suits you, or 9000 because that's what lots of other people
use?  Or 4470 because of history?  Or 1522 because that enables you to
pad on some extra headers and get 1500 payload, and works for more
people but is too meh for others to contemplate?  Or 9000 and some slop
because you commit to carrying 9000 payload on your network, whereas
other people only commit to 9000 total frame size?

Do you understand how bad humans are at making decisions like this?

And how truly awful some equipment is that people install at IXPs?

> I've proposed automated, fully toolisable solution for IXP to verify
> customers have correct config.

but you haven't solved the human problem.  The IXP operator does not
have enable on IXP participant routers.

Nick