UDP Amplification DDoS - Help!

Tin, James jtin at akamai.com
Tue Feb 9 02:58:27 UTC 2016

Hi Mitch.

My colleagues in the US dealt with something like this and I have dealt with something similar to this in Australia.
Does your customer happen to be a school district?

In our cases it turned out to be students buying Ddos as a service and targeting the address which comes up when they go to www.whatismyip.com<http://www.whatismyip.com>.
So the attack would constantly change and follow the network when there was an IP block put in place at the upstream.

In my opinion, there are a few options to this:
1)The best solution is to use a comprehensive cloud based Ddos mitigation solution.
2) Use a cgnat to dynamically map to different external addresses and change them dynamically when there is a Ddos, while putting he used addresses in a black hole.
3) Another could be to use an external proxy service where you proxy your outbound requests to. So they will eventually become the target. However this moves the problem elsewhere and still exposes you to Ddos if they know your Cpe address.
4) In combination with this, you can perform incident response check your logs, turn on authentication, so you know when users are browsing for whatismyip and Ddos attack services.

Sent from my iPhone
James Tin
APJ Principle Enterprise Security Architect
Akamai Technologies
+61 466 961 555
Level 7, 76 Berry St, North Sydney
Australia 2060