Satellites and submarine cables

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Oct 30 17:30:04 UTC 2015

Dyn Research, Doug Madory, has a good blog post looking at the physical
threats affecting submarine cables; as well as covering recent historical
submarine cable outages due to human action.

http://research.dyn.com/2015/10/the-threat-of-telecom-sabotage/

And also a very nice infographic by Caroline Troein, Tufts University,
show global submarine cable vulnerable points.

https://sites.tufts.edu/gis/files/2014/11/Troein_Caroline.pdf

Overall, Internet architecture has demonstrated resiliance to physical
layer disruptions, but it has not proven as resliant to logical layer
disruptions.