Satellites and submarine cables

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Oct 27 00:31:14 UTC 2015

Since the weekend's list problems seem to have died down.  How about some
infrastructure news.

http://spacenews.com/from-russia-some-unofficial-assurance-about-lurking-luch-satellites-intent/
>From Russia, Unofficial Assurance about Intent of Lurking Luch Satellite

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/world/europe/russian-presence-near-undersea-cables-concerns-us.html
Russian Ships Near Data Cables Are Too Close for U.S. Comfort

This seems to be a case of "I know you can see me, and I can see you."

Its not new. Multiple countries have demostrated submarine and
satellite capabilities over the decades ... more submarines than
satellites. But generally everyone has more to lose than gain.  What is
different is the increasingly public rhetoric.

Occasional satellites or submarine cable disruptions haven't had long
term impact on the US mainland due to US connectivity options.
Carriers serving the US mainland regularly have outages and repair
submarine cable and satellite problems. But countries with less
connectivity options could get pushed around more, along the lines of
"Make him an offer he can't refuse."  Some of the public rhetoric may be
for allies.