DHCPv6 PD & Routing Questions

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Fri Nov 20 21:35:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

Have a simple couple of questions here.

In my admittedly cursory glances over the DHCPv6 RFCs, I don't see any
reference to the protocol having any role in managing the routing of
prefixes it delegates.  Perhaps I missed it, but I somewhat expected the
omission of this responsibility would be the case.

My questions are:

1) Does the DHCPv6 protocol include any standards/mechanisms/methods for
managing routes to prefixes it delegates, or does it consider this
outside of its function?  (I suspect the latter)
2) What are the most common ways of managing the routing of delegated
prefixes in the ISPs routing domain?  Has a standard method/best
practice emerged yet?  Routing protocols?  IPv6 RAs?

One obvious answer would be routing protocols.  In my brief googling,
I've seen a forum post that seems to indicate that Comcast makes use of
RIPng on their CPE to propagate routing information for prefixes
delegated to it.  Can someone confirm this?  This would seem as good a
method as any to do this, albeit with obvious security concerns.

What's the best way to implement a DHCPV6 PD client on a Linux router?
Dibbler seems to do everything except route propagation (asks for PD,
puts PD address on local NIC if asked).  Anything better out there?

TIA,
- Jim