100G DWDM FEC standard

Gert Grammel ggrammel at juniper.net
Tue Jun 9 14:24:32 UTC 2015

Hi Mikael,

>From a standards perspective keep in mind that http://www.stupi.se/Standards/100G-long-haul4.pdf is not approved -  but we are working hard on it. OTOH having a reference implementation at hand, is an accelerator that helps a lot.

Let me also add some color to your email as the current interoperability situation in WDM is quite funny. Sometimes transceivers of the same vendor can't talk to each other, as they are based on a different generation of ASICs and therefore FEC implementations. In other words, vendors typically have more than only one secret sauce they cook with, and different sauces do not blend well :-) .  Perhaps transport folks are already too used to deal with such kind of issues that no one laments anymore. On the other hand perhaps, the networking industry is already so used to Ethernet where interoperability is a no-brainer, that it is difficult to imagine what it means to deal with a technology that prevents multi-vendor interop.

To confirm your final point:
Interoperability is on the top of the shopping lists for the networking industry.

Gert
email : ggrammel at juniper.net