100G DWDM FEC standard

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jun 5 15:53:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

I just watched the "evolution of ethernet speeds" presentation from NANOG
meeting. There was a statement that there was "vendor secret sauce" in the
100G DWDM space. Yes, that is true, but:

http://www.stupi.se/Standards/100G-long-haul4.pdf

There actually is a standard for 100G DWDM that has support from multiple
router vendors. When you buy new gear, make sure your vendors support the
above standard, so we can connect our routers over longer distances
between vendors, without needing transponders.

We in the Deutsche Telecom Terastream project have Huawei, Cisco, Juniper
and ALU routers that natively (DWDM colored interfaces in the routers)
talk directly to each other over 1500 km amplified DWDM system (no
transponders), and we can also talk from these routers interfaces to Cisco
and ALU transponders if we want to.

https://jeffloughridge.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/peter-lothbergs-terastream-presentation-at-ripe-67/
if you want to know more about the project.

Next time you purchase 100G DWDM equipment, make sure you buy equipment
that follows this standard to be certain that it interoperates to combat
vendor "secret sauce".

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se