Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 16 11:19:54 UTC 2015

In message <20150716060336.GA4261 at bamboo.slabnet.com>, Hugo Slabbert writes:
> --snip--
>
> >You can blame the religious zealots that insisted that everything
> >DHCP does has to also be done via RA's.  This means that everyone
> >has to implement everything twice.  Something Google should have
> >realised when they releases Android.
>
> oi...do we want to go down that road[1][2] again?

Once you have two methods of doing things, neither of which is
manditory to implement, you can only get interoperate with everything
if you implement both.  The whole "we can't open a second socket"
to do DHCP + SLACC because it is "too complicated" or "we don't
want to run a second server" was nonsense.  The direct consequence
of doing that was Android not working on networks that supply other
config over DHCP.

We ship servers that speak multiple protocols on one multiple ports
in the one binary.  It isn't and never has been hard to do that.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org