The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 5 21:17:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Murat Yuksel <yuksem at cse.unr.edu> wrote:
> As far as I understand, NDN's basic premise is to
> install "names" into the network layer.

Hi Murat,

If they think names belong at layer 4 instead of layer 7 I can offer a
couple insights on how this might be used to make layer 3 cheaper and
more effective.

If they think names belong at layer 3 everyone in this forum can
rattle off a dozen reasons why that's totally wacko.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Field, Brian
<Brian_Field at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> I'm only going to touch on a small part of what I
> understand NDN to be‹ namely making caching a first class citizen of the
> network.

Anycast can allow a supporting client to find the nearest device of
type X. And it can allow the local device of type X to find the
nearest regional device of type X. Making caching a first class
network element is positively needless.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?