The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Fri Sep 5 19:21:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

> How many Youtube subject tags will fit in *your* routers' TCAM?
>
>  http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/09/04/2156232/ucla-cisco-more-launch-consortium-to-replace-tcpip
>
> [ Can someone convince me this isn't the biggest troll in the history
> of the internet? Cause it sounds like shoehorning DNS /and Google/ into
> IP in place of, y'know, IP addresses. ]

Well, you don't need addresses for clients, just for content... From the architecture page at http://named-data.net/project/archoverview/:

"Note that neither Interest nor Data packets carry any host or interface addresses (such as IP addresses); Interest packets are routed towards data producers based on the names carried in the Interest packets, and Data packets are returned based on the state information set up by the Interests at each router hop."

So it's basically suggesting a NAT-like table in every single router. And we all know how well NAT boxes scale...

Cheers,
Sander