ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Oct 26 10:45:52 UTC 2014

john

> To what extent is the ROA growth rate in the RIPE region (on page 5 of
> the NANOG slides) enabled by the IRR practices of that region?

check out slide 3, lacnic has a 20% adoption rate.  both ripe and lacnic
have put energy into their own systems, educating users, ...  ripe's
curve would not seem to show correlation with recent liberalization of
policy, but i doubt it is wise to twy to squeeze cause out of curves.

> I do recognize that there are issues (as Wes nicely identified in
> Baltimore and which we'll be working on) that get in the way of RPKI
> deployment in the ARIN region, but those issues are not present other
> non-RIPE regions - yet the number actual ROA's issued still appears to
> be rather low...

20% coverage in lacnic low?  how do ipv6 and dnssec compare (which is
damned sad)?  over 2,000 in ripe and over 8%?  how does that compare to
ipv6?

arin, 388 and 0.7%, a joke.  slide 5 "It’s What Happens When You Let
Lawyers and Wannabe Regulators Run the Internet"

i really loved the arin ac guy i met in baltimore who did not think
having arin meet at nanog was good because those operators just did not
get how to regulate the internet.  you've been captured by the tea
party.

randy