Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Oct 22 05:43:05 UTC 2014

it was at ietf-9, while jon and i were discussing the {features|flaws}
of iso3166-1, that another contributor approached us and ... spoke to
the unfairness, as argued by that contributor, of the armed forces of
the united kingdom being excluded from the use (as registrants) of the
.mil namespace.

i suggest the question is asked and answered, and as i offered slightly
obliquely earlier, the policy of an agency of government committed to
commercial deregulation (since the second clinton administration), in
particular use of .us, may not be the policy of the government in
general, nor the policy of an agency of government otherwise tasked,
e.g., the department of defense.

On 10/21/14 10:25 PM, ITechGeek wrote:
> Instead of multiple govs trying to use .gov or .mil, the best idea would be
> to collapse .gov under .gov.us and .mil under .mil.us

could we now put a good night kiss on the forehead of this sleepy child
and let him or her dream of candy and ponies?

-e