IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 9 07:02:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM, James R Cutler
<james.cutler at consultant.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2014, at 9:18 PM, Erik Sundberg <ESundberg at nitelusa.com> wrote:
>> I am planning out our IPv6 deployment right now and I am trying to figure out our default allocation for customer LAN blocks. So what is everyone giving for a default LAN allocation for IPv6 Customers.  I guess the idea of handing a customer /56 (256 /64s) or  a /48 (65,536 /64s) just makes me cringe at the waste. Especially when you know 90% of customers will never have more than 2 or 3 subnets. As I see it the customer can always ask for more IPv6 Space.
>>
>> /64
>> /60
>> /56
>> /48

Hi Erik,

You're asking the right question and you understand the
divisible-by-four rule for prefix delegation, which is good. The
answer I recommend is:

1. Nothing smaller than /56 unless you know enough about the situation
to be sure /56 is unnecessary. In particular, never provide a /64 to a
customer... delegate nothing between /61 and /123, ever. You'll just
be making mess that you have to clean up later when it turns out they
needed 3 LANs after all.

2. Suggest /56 for residential and /48 for business customers as
default, didn't ask for something else sizes.

3. /48 for anyone who makes the effort to ask, including residential
customers. 99% won't ask and won't care any time in the foreseeable
future.

4. Referral to ARIN for anyone who requests more than a /48. If they
have a good reason for needing more than 65,000 LANs that reason is
likely good enough to justify a direct ARIN assignment. If they don't
have a good reason, the experience will teach them that without
needing to get them mad at you.

> Selection of a default prefix is easy.  Here are the steps.
>
> 4. Keeping in mind
>
>         4.1 Prefixes longer than somewhere around /48 to /56 may be excluded from the global routing table

4.1a Prefix cutouts of any size (including /48) from inside your /32
or larger block may be excluded from the global routing table. Folks
who are multihomed and thus need to advertise their own block with BGP
should be referred to ARIN for a direct assignment. Folks who aren't
multihomed, well, until given evidence otherwise I claim there are no
single-homed entities who will use 65,000 LANs, let alone more.

>         4.2 Your customers want working Internet connections
>         4.3 You want income at a minimum of ongoing expense
>
>    make a sensible business decision.

IPv6 is large but not infinite. No need to be conservative, but
profligate consumption is equally without merit.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?