IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Oct 9 02:48:48 UTC 2014

On Oct 8, 2014, at 9:18 PM, Erik Sundberg <ESundberg at nitelusa.com> wrote:

> I am planning out our IPv6 deployment right now and I am trying to figure out our default allocation for customer LAN blocks. So what is everyone giving for a default LAN allocation for IPv6 Customers.  I guess the idea of handing a customer /56 (256 /64s) or  a /48 (65,536 /64s) just makes me cringe at the waste. Especially when you know 90% of customers will never have more than 2 or 3 subnets. As I see it the customer can always ask for more IPv6 Space.
>
> /64
> /60
> /56
> /48
>
> Small Customer?
> Medium Customer?
> Large Customer?
>
> Thanks
>
> Erik

Erik,

Selection of a default prefix is easy.  Here are the steps.

1. Design your address allocation systems using /48.
2. Estimate your ongoing address management costs using /48.
3. For each +4 in prefix length, estimate doubling your long term address management costs.
4. Keeping in mind

	4.1 Prefixes longer than somewhere around /48 to /56 may be excluded from the global routing table
	4.2 Your customers want working Internet connections
	4.3 You want income at a minimum of ongoing expense

   make a sensible business decision.

Easy-peasy.

James R. Cutler
James.cutler at consultant.com