Marriott wifi blocking

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Sat Oct 4 04:25:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:57:29PM -0500, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
> It?s not just Marriott doing this; A friend of mine went to a convention
> near DC and found the venue was doing something like this. I don?t know if
> the method was the same, but he reported that any time he connected to his
> phone he would be disconnected ?nearly immediately". He mentioned this to a
> con staffer and was told you had to rent internet access from the venue, it
> cost several hundred dollars per day. Same for electricity, about which he

	I've seen this in a few places, but if anyone encounters similar
behavior, I suggest the following:

	- Document the incident.
	- Identify the make and model of the access point, or
	  controller, and be sure to pass along this information to
	  the FCC's OET: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/

	Vendors really need to start losing their US device certification
for devices that include advertised features that violate US law.  It
would put a stop to this sort of thing pretty quickly.

	--msa