abuse reporting tools

Gregg Berkholtz gregg at tocici.com
Wed Nov 26 06:38:53 UTC 2014

First please filter the source addr on all egress traffic, please. Please.

Second, please don’t be the network admin whom emails:
“…
To: notOurOrgAbuseEmail at tocici.com
From: cluelessAdmin at example.com
Subject: An attempt of intrusion comes from your ip

.
…”

Just in case you missed the obvious: message body was empty, $cluelessAdmin didn’t do a basic whois for our OrgAbuseEmail, and $cluelessAdmin ASSumed we knew which of our 2,048 IPs apparently started WWIII while providing absolutely zero collaborating evidence (attaching or linking to raw tcpdump is very nice, “-d” is Ok too). We often receive dozens of these totally useless/blank emails, in clusters of a few minutes.

Tricks like that earn an instant 144-hour null route badge for whichever sending company’s entire presumed netblock (if we can’t find an obvious AS), repeat offenses earn longer and more colorful badges. All get a personal voicemail to the $cluelessAdmin company’s exec(s)/admin(s). I deliver these voicemails roughly three times a week now. Teh Stupid leaves burn marks on our NOC techs, and the poor geeks can only take so much!

Other suggestions, such as watching and responding to s/NetFlow spikes, or tracking/linking multiple complaining networks before even attempting to look at origins…these sometimes warrant a followup depending upon volume and frequency (easily tracked with an SQLLite + PHP-based tool/api). We’ve found things are more-often just fat fingers, someone more bored than harmful, or someone that hasn’t figured out zmap options yet.

As for a genuine DDoS, with a spoofed-source - can you really do much about this? For years we’ve just automatically null-routed (+RTBH) the ingress target (and, if obvious, any egress source) for a shortish random() period, and everyone typically gets bored shortly thereafter. Our current null-route based homegrown DDoS mitigation platform requires barely ~10 seconds from detection/onset to mitigation, so we tend to elimianate most fun and drama pretty quickly. For more business-focused clients, services like CloudFlare typically keeps DDoS attacks off ingress IPs.

(BTW: in addition business sites, we host Minecraft, Teamspeak, and other "l33t hax0r” targeted services)

Gregg Berkholtz