Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri May 16 18:57:39 UTC 2014

Blake,

I'm not sure what the relationship between what an access network sells has
to do with how their peering is done.  I realize that everyone's favorite
target is Comcast right now, but would anyone bat an eye over AT&T making
the same requirement since they have much more in the way of transit
traffic?  I don't think anyone forced Level 3 into their peering agreement
with Comcast and it was (roughly) symmetrical for years before Level 3 was
contracted by Netflix.  Shouldn't Level 3 gone to Comcast and told them
they needed to change their peering or get a different contract?  Why was
Cogent able to maintain (roughly) symmetrical traffic with Comcast when
they were the primary path for Netflix to Comcast users?

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000