FTTH ONTs and routers

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Thu May 15 17:35:38 UTC 2014

At 01:11 PM 15/05/2014, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

>It had been my impression that ONTs, like most other consumer modems,
>came with built-in router capabilities (along with ATA for voice).
>
>The assertion that ONTs have built-in routing capabilities has been
>challenged.

By who?

>Can anyone confirm whether ONTs generally have routing (aka: home router
>that does the PPPoE or DHCP and then NAT for home) capabilities?

All the unit's I've seen have this capability.  We don't use it though.

>Are there examples where a telco has deployed ONTs with the router
>built-in and enabled ? Or would almost all FTTH deployments be made with
>any routing disabled and the ONT acting as a pure ethernet bridge ?

No way to tell, since configuring routing capability in a router that
has it built in is a relatively trivial task.

It would be like asking how many people use the "bagel" button on
their toaster, if it has this capability built in.

---

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
3363 Tecumseh Rd. E