FTTH ONTs and routers

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Thu May 15 17:43:08 UTC 2014

Many thanks for the answers so far.

On 14-05-15 13:35, Clayton Zekelman wrote:

>>The assertion that ONTs have built-in routing capabilities has been
>>challenged.
>
> By who?

A rather large company in Canada whose name contains the last name of
the inventor of the Telephone :-) (actually from their Atlantic Canada arm).

I know that Bell Canada's FTTH deployment includes a Sagemcom VDSL modem
after the ONT. It uses it as plain router in FTTH because it supports
twin VLANs (one for internet and other for IPTV) and I guess they
figured it would be easier to standarize on a single router across its
DSL and FTTH footprint.

Not sure what Bell Aliant uses.

My argument had been that in a wholesale context, the Sagemcom must not
be included when wholesale service since it is not necessary.