why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Mar 25 17:51:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, John Levine wrote:

> It says a lot about the state of the art that people are still making
> uninformed guesses like this, non ironically.

Yep, SMTP and the whole spam fighting part of the Internet, isn't ready
for IPv6. This is not IPv6 fault.

I have repeatedly tried to get people interested in methods of making it
possible for ISPs to publish their "per-customer" allocation size, so far
without any success. Most of the time I seem to get "we did it a certain
way for IPv4, it works, we don't want to change it" from people.

IPv6 changes things. Lots of things. There will be a lot of work to catch
up. It's too bad that the part of the ecosystem that fights spam have
woken up so late.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se