misunderstanding scale

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Mon Mar 24 18:55:37 UTC 2014

I doubt that many residential customers will be readdressing their networks except for us geeks.  Most of them are going to be using CPE that grabs an address via DHCP for the WAN interface and then does an IPv6 DHCP PD with the /64 it gets from the service provider.  The customer sees nothing at all.  It is plug and play.  In IPv6 the concept of manual addressing is strongly discouraged so the issue of readdressing networks should be improved not made more difficult.  Private address space assignments might be simple to you but grandma and my sister in law, not so much.  They just plug in their gear and don't worry about addresses.

In the corporate world, there is nothing stopping you from keeping your ipv4 private addressing going for a long time.  In fact, I think that is what most companies will do.  If you want IPv6 internally, then have at it and please use DHCP.

Steven Naslund