misunderstanding scale

Mike Hale eyeronic.design at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 01:44:52 UTC 2014

"then there aren't any inherent security weaknesses preventing its
adoption by enterprises."
You're right.  There's not an inherent security weakness in the
protocol.  The increased risk is due to the increase in your attack
surface (IMHO).

"Your attack surface has already expanded whether or not you deploy IPv6."
Not so.  If I don't enable IPv6 on my hosts, the attacker can yammer
away via IPv6 all day long with no result.

"And if an enterprise doesn't have firewalls in place, then their
devices are already accessible."
For those devices that have publicly routable IP addresses, sure.

"My organization is particularly strict at our perimeter"
Then sir, you're in a fortunate and small group.

"I've simply pointed out that it really isn't any harder to plan and
manage for v6 than for v4"
Except it is.  I get your point that there aren't any additional
vulnerabilities in v6 than they are in v4.  My point is that it's a
lot more work.  And as someone who's facing this issue right now, I
promise you...it's a lot more work.  I'm not saying it's not worth the
effort nor that it's unnecessary...but to imply that securing v6 is an
easy step up from securing v4 is inaccurate.

"Simply pretending that if you don't enable IPv6, you're somehow
immune from IPv6 threats is naïve."
No.  If I turn off v6 in my kernel, I am absolutely immune from native
v6 threats.  I'm happy to be proven wrong if you can show me a case
where this isn't so.

Mark:
Everything you've said is correct.  But my point is simply that there
*are* security considerations when deploying v6, and they're bigger
than some rare and esoteric bug that's only exploitable when all the
stars align.  With v6, a simple misconfiguration can open up every
single host directly to the outside.  The same simply isn't true with
NAT where you have to explicitly define inbound rules.

Again...I'm not saying these considerations are insurmountable.  I'm
not saying you shouldn't deploy v6 because of potential security
holes.  But to sound dismissive of those security considerations
involved with deploying v6 is very counterproductive.

--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0